Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport (BTR)
History, Facts and Overview
(Baton Rouge, Louisiana - LA, USA)
Costing more than $1 million in the early 1940s, Baton Rouge Airport was a major engineering feat and involved the clearing of an enormous forest area on the city's northerly outskirts, spanning some 800 acres / 324 hectares.
The airport opened in 1941 and was soon to replace the nearby municipal airport at Independence Park, which was considerably smaller in size. At this stage, the airport was known simply as Harding Field, being renamed in 1954 as the Ryan Airport, and then again in 1981, as the Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport (BTR).
The terminal at Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport features an ATM machine, Wi-Fi Internet access throughout the building and limited post and communication facilities. The food court within the central atrium offers a good selection of restaurants and refreshments, and gift shop areas on both the first and second floor provide a variety of goods. Also onsite is a kids room, massage chairs, a reading room and fast curbside check-in facilities.
A useful business centre can be found on the second floor of the terminal building and provides extensive business services and equipment, while the conference rooms available on the first floor can be supplied with the latest audio-visual amenities. Executive lounges at Baton Rouge Airport are provided by the four main airlines and offer a relaxing environment.